FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Suzanne Lyons, 815-301-9344, [email protected]
New Book Shows How to Prevent Bullying and Teach Kindness with Cooperative Games
Essential resource for parents, teachers, and others who work with young children
NEVADA CITY, CALIFORNIA − November 20, 2016 − Ground-breaking book for parents and teachers that shows how cooperative games can be used to prevent bullying is available beginning March 20, 2017.
Playing games that are based on cooperation rather than competition is a smart, simple and fun way to foster kindess, mutual respect, empathy, and the ability to get along with one another. Playing cooperative games also reduces aggression and meanness, as research shows. Suzanne Lyons M.A., M.A., educator and founder of CooperativeGames.com, is the author of this new book, which is titled The Cooperative Games Bullying Prevention Program.
This valuable new resource documents in persuasive detail the downsides of competition and up-sides of cooperation. It also explains the reasons that cooperative games help children develop cooperative skills and avoid the pitfalls of excessive competition. Besides being a fascinating discussion of cooperative games, and the power these games have to promote peaceful ralationships, this book is a highly practical manual with directions to over 57 cooperative games.
The Cooperative Games Bullying Prevention Program contains the following features:
- An easy-to-implement, classroom-ready bullying prevention program based on cooperative games
- Clear and simple directions to free or low-cost cooperative games for children ages 4-7
- Discussion of the benefits of cooperative versus competitive games including a discussion of the relevant research
- Tips for teachers, parents, and others who care for children showing how they can nurture the spirit of cooperation through play and become an expert facilitator of cooperative games themselves
- Background on bullying and comparison of various approaches to the problem
- An index to games that makes finding the right game for any situation fast and easy
- Illustrations by the author
- Supplemental resources for educators
- Extensive bibliography for those interested in further study of the subject
The Cooperative Games Bullying Prevention Program by Suzanne Lyons M.A., M.A. breaks new ground in the effort to stop bullying. Though it is squarely based on University research, and the approach makes an enormous amount of common sense too, this is the first and only book on this important topic.
“I always knew that cooperative games are fun, and that they help people of all ages enjoy one another and build positive relationships,” says Lyons. “But when I happened upon the research that shows these games reduce aggression—both during gameplay and afterwards—I felt that the public needed to know. I’m a science educator by training and have written several science textbooks. Though I love teaching science, what good is all the world’s knowledge if we cannot get along together? I feel this book on cooperative games is the most exciting book I have written so far. I hope it will help people in their homes, schools, and other settings discover the simple but profound benefits of playing together rather than against each other.”
Suzanne Lyons, M.A., M.A., is a former physics teacher. Her degrees are in physics (UC Berkeley), Earth science (Sacramento State University) and education (Stanford University.) She has taught science subjects at all levels and has trained teachers in science subjects as well as cooperative games. Her interest in cooperative games stems from her search for innovative ways to teach the whole student. She founded CooperativeGames.com in 2009.
The Cooperative Games Bullying Prevention Program is 160 pages long and features original illustrations by the author. It is available in print and in digital format beginning February 14, 2017. There are four formats to choose from:
- Paperback from Amazon ($19.95, ISBN-13: 978-099641881-2, 7” x 10”, Better World Education)
- Kindle from Amazon
- iPad from iBooks
- A premium paperback edition is available directly from Suzanne’s website CooperativeGames.com.The premium edition is autographed with an embossed cover. It was printed by a publishing co-operative in Canada on recycled chlorine free paper. 10% of profits from the premium edition are donated to charity. ($27.95, ISBN 978-0-9964188-0-5, 7” x 10”, Child and Nature).